Currently, the programmatic video ad ecosystem doesn't enforce consistent context across video ad content, leading to inefficiencies and behavior like:
- The same ad playing repeatedly to the user during each ad break within the main video content.
- Suboptimal ad duration fill; that is, multiple requests to load ads one at a time can be problematic, resulting in a bad user experience.
The VAST 3+ standard offers a technical solution called, Ad Pod, that lets publishers/players request a group (or playlist) of ads.
What are Ad Pods?
Ad Pods are a sequenced collection of ads, as described in the IAB VAST4.1 Specification:
Sequence showing multiple Ad Pods (Pre, Mid, and Post Roll pacements) during video content:
Current publisher challenges
- None of the Wrapper/Unified platforms allow publishers to optimize multiple ads coming from different SSP and demand sources.
- There is partial Ad Pod support but there are very few platforms that support optimization within and across pods for a user viewing session.
OpenWrap Ad Pod support: high-level approach and flow
|1||Video SDK /Player/SSAI initiates request for ads with Ad Pod details|
|2||Server side wrapper interprets this request to AdPod optimisation / Selection Engine|
|3||Selection engine looks at available ads (if already present in cache / collection store) if it doesn't have all ads as per rules, sends altered request to Requester|
|4||Bid details with ad exclusion and other rules are sent to Prebid server Bidder adapters module|
|5||The bid responses are added to ad collection and Selection Engine reevaluates if it has all ads based on rules|
|6||Post Timeout or fulfilment of ads per rule all relevant ads is pushed to collector/cache|
|7||All selected / relevant ads are sent to ad pod generator - which generates VAST XML|
|8||This VAST may be hosted in cache - bases on use case / settings|
|9||Ad Pod details and price is communicated back to Client|
|10||Client select best ads from direct / programmatic to serve|
|11||Player gets the ad during break and tries to render all ads in a pod.|
oRTB API specs for Ad Pod requests
PubMatic's implementation adds the
AdPod extension object as a child the
BidRequest object and/or the
Video object. When you use and
AdPod object as a child of
BidRequest, then the
AdPod's settings are global in scope. When
AdPod is a child of
AdPod's settings are local scope for the
Video object and its parent
Impression. When both
Video each have an
AdPod object, then the
Impression.Video.Ext.AdPod settings override
BidRequest's global settings. And while
Video can each use most of
AdPod's parameters, there are a few that apply only to
BidRequest as shown in the table below.
(with a defined AdPod object)
(with a defined AdPod object)
Defines the position where the
|Integer||N||Minimum number of ads to include in the |
|Integer||N||Maximum number of ads to inlcude in the AdPod.|
|Integer||N||Minimum duration in seconds for each ad in the |
|Integer||N||Maximum duration in seconds for each ad in the |
|Integer||N||Percentage of ads allowed to have the same advertiser in the |
|Integer||N||Percentage of ads allowed to have the same IAB category in the |
|Object||Y||New object for defining an AdPod object.|
|Integer||N||Percentage of ads allowed to have the same advertiser across all AdPods in the |
|Integer||N||Percentage of ads allowed to have the same IAB categories across all AdPods in the |
The number of minutes during which the exclusive IAB rule applies. If two AdPods render within a window, then the rule applies, otherwise the rule resets.
The number of minutes during which the exclusive advertiser rule applies. If two
Sample oRTB 2.x request
The sample oRTB request below performs the following:
- Configure two
- Minimum duration of overall ad is 10 secs with a max duration of 30 seconds
AdPodmust contain a minimum of two ads and a maximum of 3 ads
- Each ad must fall between a minimum of 5 seconds and maximum 10 seconds in duration
- All ads in the pod must come from different advertisers
- IAB categories can match
AdPodplays at the start of the main video content
- Minimum duration of overall ad should be 90 sec and max duration of 120 seconds
- Minimum 3 ad should be part of the ad pod and maximum 5 ads
- Each ad should be minimum 30 sec in duration and max 40 sec.
- 50% the ads in the pod can be from same advertiser.
- The IAB categories can be same.
AdPodwill play after 25 min of video playback.
- Global rules:
AdPods should not share more than 50% ads from the same advertiser.