Publishers can allowlist creatives specifically from one or more advertisers for specific sites (or all sites) by allowlisting URLs for advertisers or advertiser categories. When you allowlist advertisers for a site, all other advertisers are essentially blocklisted. This process facilitates safe and time-saving allowlisting within PubMatic.
Using the Allowlist, publishers can:
- Allowlist a domain URL (including subdomains) for an advertiser or advertiser category for all sites or a specific site.
View available domain URLs for allowlisting and enable/disable the allowlist as needed.If you disable an allowlist for a site, it will be blocklisted, meaning that it will be removed from the allowlist.
View, schedule, download, and email allowlisted advertiser categories, advertisers, and domain URLs for all sites or specific sites.If you disable an allowlisted advertiser for a site, any earlier configured blocklist will be applicable for your inventory.
- Search for allowlisted advertisers, advertiser categories, and domain URLs.
When reviewing the allowlisted items for a particular site, ensure that you have the correct site selected and that All Sites is not selected.
Editing an allowlist
Select Ad Quality > Allowlist from the main navigation.
Note= Full entity selected (e.g., all advertisers and domains within the category)
= Partial entity selected (e.g., only some advertisers or domains within a category)
- Select whether you want the allowlist changes to apply to all sites or a particular site by clicking the Apply Allowlist To dropdown menu, and select All Sites or a specific site. To locate a site, browse the list to make a selection or begin typing part of the URL and press Enter to begin the search. Continue typing more of the site name and press Enter to narrow the search results. The subsequent allowlisting will apply to this selection.
- Select whether you want to view by Category, Advertiser, or Domain from the View By drop-down menu and selecting an option.
- Enter the search criteria in the search box or browse through the list.
- For either Category or Advertiser, use the arrows next to the entity you want to expand. Continue to use the arrows for each sub-level you want to expand. (Domains are displayed in a single list, so there is no need to navigate to another level.)
Select the checkbox for each item you want to allowlist or select the checkbox in a column heading to select all of the items in that column.
To allowlist all domains within a category or advertiser, select the check-box at the highest level (i.e., the category or advertiser in the first column on the left).
Click Save Changes, then Yes to confirm your allowlist changes.
Allowlisting changes can take up to 5-10 minutes to sync and be visible.
How PubMatic manages subdomains and top-level domains
When a request is received on the ad server, PubMatic identifies http:// or https:// in the URL and extracts the domain until "/" or "?" is found and then parses the domain from the URL. Once the domain is extracted, PubMatic applies allowlisting and searches for the domain in the allowlisted domains list, first at the subdomain level and then the top-level domain.
Example: Domain extraction for https://abc.xyz.com/mypage.html?a=4&b=5 would be abc.xyz.com. PubMatic then searches for abc.xyz.com first and then xyz.com so that both the subdomain and top-level domain are allowlisted.
If a top-level domain is allowlisted, its subdomains will also be allowlisted.
- If a subdomain is specifically added to the allowlist, it will not allowlist its top-level domain or other domains for which this domain is not the top-level domain.
Bulk upload an allowlist
When you have many categories, advertisers or domains to allowlist for sites, use the Bulk Upload option.
- Select Ad Quality > Allowlist from the main navigation menu.
- Click Bulk Upload.
- Click the Download the CSV template and complete it by adding Site (Publisher) URLs and Allowlisted (Advertiser) domains. Save the file and return to the Bulk Upload.
- Open the downloaded file and add sites and domains to be allowlisted.
- Save the changes to the CSV file and return to the Bulk Upload Domains window.
- Click Select File and locate the file to upload.
- Click Upload.
When the File is successfully uploaded confirmation appears at the top of the page, click Refresh. Continue to click Refresh until the file has been processed. (You can also leave this window and return later.) If the file fails, click the Failed status in the Status column. The reason for the failure will be listed for the sites/domains that failed. Fix the issue and try again.
- When successfully uploaded, click Cancel.
Managing sites for brand control
You can manage sites for allowlisting by clicking Manage Sites for Brand Control at the top of Allowlist Manager.
From this page, you can click Remove Allowlist and Apply Blocklist for those sites that are currently allowlisted, or click Configure and Apply Allowlist for those that are not currently allowlisted.
When removing from the allowlist, click Disable Allowlist to confirm.
When adding to the allowlist, configure as needed and click Save Changes.
Download an allowlist report
The Allowlist Report can be downloaded using one of the download options. Downloads will reflect the current allowlist view.