About Audience Insights
Audience Insights enables you to view statistics for the audiences on your site. PubMatic also provides a list of default (system-generated) audiences, which help you analyze the audiences visiting your site. If you have integrated with Lotame through the PubMatic system, then this screen also redirects you to Lotame Crowd Control for creating audiences.
To access Audience Insights, select Configuration | Audience Insights from the main navigation.
Using the Audience-Lotame Integration
- Use the PubMatic platform to include the Lotame pixel in a PubMatic Universal Pixel and deploy it on your Web site. This pixel will start collecting audience data on your site’s visitors and display it in the Lotame Crowd Control GUI.
- Use the Lotame Crowd Control GUI to understand the audience segments to which your site’s visitors belong.
- Create a combination of these segments which you want to target using the Create Audience feature in the Lotame Crowd Control GUI. Once you have created these audiences, they will be displayed after a few minutes in the Audience Insights screen of the PubMatic platform. However, the reach details of these audiences will be displayed on this screen only on the next day.
- You can then use these audiences in the PubMatic platform for audience targeting. You can optimize your revenue for impressions from these targeted audiences by using these audiences in PubMatic Marketplace Rules or Marketplace deals.
- You can also use the PubMatic AIM tags to collect the audience IDs of your site’s visitors from the PubMatic system and use them on your ad server to serve targeted ads to such visitors.
Note: Once you have created the audience using Lotame Crowd Control, you can modify it, clone it, and deactivate it using Lotame Crowd Control.
Benefits of Using Audience Insights
- The publisher does not need to implement a data collection system to collect the audience data from various data providers since it is done by the Lotame system.
- The publisher can use the audiences from the PubMatic system to run audience-targeted campaigns on a visitor and display an appropriate creative to the visitor.
- The publisher cannot use the standard segments from the Lotame system to run its own audience-targeted campaigns on a visitor. However, it can use the combination of these segments to create rules in the PubMatic system to allow only audience-targeted bids for displaying the creative.
- To run its own audience-targeted campaigns on a visitor in the absence of audiences, the publisher will need to sign a deal with the required data providers.
Creating an Audience Using Lotame
This topic is applicable only if you have integrated with the Lotame DMP using the PubMatic system. For more information about integrating with Lotame, contact your PubMatic Account Manager.
If you want to combine multiple standard segments to target a specific section of visitors, you can create an audience in the Lotame system using the following procedure.
- Go to the Audience Insights screen as described in the Navigating to Audience Insights topic.
- Click the Login to Lotame button. A new browser window is opened and it displays the Lotame Crowd Control login screen.Note: The Login to Lotame button is visible only if you have integrated with Lotame using the PubMatic system.
- Specify the Lotame user name and password which you have received from PubMatic.
- Log in to Lotame Crowd Control and create the audiences that you require. For instructions, refer to the Lotame documentation available at http://help.lotame.com/display/public/HELP/Lotame+Crowd+Control+User+Guide. Note: While creating an audience in Lotame Crowd Control, you need to use the AND/OR drop-down list in the Audience Definition section to specify either "AND" or "OR" logic between two standard segments to create the audience. For example, you can use the AND logic to combine the "Males" segment with the "Age between 18 to 24" segment and create an audience as "Males with Age between 18 to 24". Similarly, you can also use the OR logic between the "Males" and "Females" segments and the AND logic between them and the "Age between 18 to 24" segment to create an audience such as "Males or Females with Age between 18 to 24".
- While creating the audience in Lotame Crowd Control, ensure that you select the I would like to export this audience out of Crowd Control option | PubMatic tab | Export Audience to PubMatic option. This ensures that the new audience is exported from the Lotame UI to the PubMatic platform.
Once you have created these audiences, they will be displayed after a few minutes in the Audience Insights screen of the PubMatic platform. However, the reach details of these audiences will be displayed on this screen only on the next day.
Searching for an Audience
- Select Configuration | Audience Insights from the main navigation.
- Enter the ID or Audience Name in the search field in the upper left, above the table.
Viewing Audience Data
Conduct a search and/or select a site to view.
Customizing Audience View
Downloading an Audience Report
To save the audience reports on your computer for future reference, perform the following steps.
- Search for the audiences whose report you want to download as described in the Searching for an audience topic.
- The Audience Insights screen displays the list of audiences matching the search criteria.
- Click the button to download the displayed audiences' details. The Download Reports popup window is displayed.
- Select the report which you want to download, that is, either Audience Insights or Demand Insights.
- Select the format in which you want to download the report, that is, XLS (Microsoft Excel), CSV or PDF.
- Click the Download button.
The downloaded report displays the same statistical details as described in the Viewing the list of audiences topic.