About AIM Tags
You can use an AIM tag script on your Web site to retrieve the certain audience-related information about each user visiting your site. To achieve this, you need to deploy the AIM tag wrapper script on your Web pages. Using this tag, the browser of each user's visiting that Web page sends a request to the PubMatic system. The system then sends back the IDs of all the audiences to which the user belongs. This information can then be used by your ad server in the audience-targeted campaigns and display an appropriate creative to the user related to its audience type.
AIM tags are only applicable for user-created audiences (My Audiences) and not system-generated audiences (Default Audiences).
To implement this, you need to:
- Create the AIM tag as described in the Creating a new AIM tag instructions belo.
- Copy the AIM tag's code to your Web page's HTML code.
- Include the AIMWrapper.js script on these Web pages to process and cache the audience details retrieved by the AIM tag. For more information about this script, refer the PubMatic AIM Tag - Custom Wrapper Script Getting Started Guide.
- Locate the audiences which you want to be used through the AIM tag and activate them under the AIM Tag column on the Audience Insights screen.
How AIM Tags are Used
AIM Tags can be used by publishers to obtain the audiences' data for their visitors.
- The publisher's DMP collects and sends the audiences' data to the PubMatic system at regular intervals.
- The publisher also needs to create an AIM tag in the PubMatic system.
- The publisher then needs to deploy the AIM tag wrapper script on their Web pages on which they want to target their visitors.
- Now assume that a user visits such a Web page using a browser.
- The AIM tag script implemented on the Web page sends a request to the PubMatic system for the given visitor for this specific publisher.
- Since the PubMatic system is aware of the audiences mapped to the given visitor, it then sends back the IDs of these audiences to the script.
- The script then sends these IDs to the publisher's ad server on which the audience-targeted campaigns are being executed.
- Since the ad server is aware of the audiences whose IDs it has received, it can then run an appropriate campaign for the given visitor and display a targeted ad to the visitor on the Web page.
Create an AIM Tag
If you want the PubMatic system to provide audience-related information about each user visiting your Web page, then you need to create an AIM tag as described below.
You can create an AIM tag only if you have integrated with a DMP and are using the PubMatic system for monetizing your audience.
To create an AIM tag:
- Go to the Audience Insights screen as described in the Navigating to Audience Insights topic.
- Click the Settings button. The AIM Tag popup window is displayed.
- Click the Generate AIM Tag button. The PubMatic platform generates the AIM tag and returns back to the Audience Insights screen.
The code for the AIM tag is auto-generated by the system. You can view this code as described in the Viewing the AIM tag's code topic.
Viewing the AIM Tag's Code