This guide provides instructions and best practices for setting up your account in PubMatic, including:
- Creating a New Site
- Creating a New Ad Tag
- Downloading Ad Tags
- Adding an Ad Network
- Mapping the Ad Network Placements to an Ad Tag
- Passback Management
- Brand Control
Creating a New Site
Sites are created in the system for reporting purposes. The ability to add different sites enables you to receive much more granular reports for your account.
- Select Inventory & Rules | Sites & Tags.
- Click Add a Site/App.
- Enter details such as site domain, site identifier (custom name you can give to the site), vertical, estimated ad impressions, etc.
- Click Save Site or Save and Add Another Site (to save this and open a new form to complete for another site).
Creating an Ad Tag
- Select Inventory & Rules | Sites & Tags.
- Click Create Ad Tag.
- Select the site for which the ad tag will be applied.
- Enter the Format Type and Response Code.
- Complete Ad Slot Preferences:
- Ad Placement: Select the placement of the ad relative to the page (Top, Bottom, Middle, Left or Right of Page).
- Fold Placement: Select the placement of the ad relative to the fold (Above the Fold (ATF), Below the Fold (BTF), or Partially above the Fold).
- Expansion: Select the direction the ad will expand (Up, Down, Left or Right).
- Select User Data Parameters. For Mobile/Video, add details such as location, DMA, etc., adding as many details as possible.
- Add a passback by either clicking Select Existing Placement and selecting from the list or to add a new passback, click Provide Passback Script. The PubMatic system will automatically recommend an ad tag name, however, this can be customized as needed.
A passback is required for every tag. This is to ensure that if PubMatic doesn’t fill the space, then we’ll know what to do to prevent having a blank ad space.
Downloading Ad Tags
To download ad tags, select each in the left-hand column and click Download Selected Tag Codes. If more than one tag is selected, all will be placed in the same .txt file that will download to your local drive.
If the kadGdpr or gdpr field is set to 1, then it indicates that the given impression must be subjected to the GDPR compliance process. If set to 0, then the given impression is not GDPR compliant and will be processed as usual.
The kadGdprConsent and gdpr_consent fields should contain the visitor’s GDPR consent data, i.e., whether he/she has provided his/her consent for being targeted or not.
Ad Network Addition & Mapping
If you are working with an Ad Network, use these instructions to add them to the PubMatic system.
- Select Configuration | Ad Networks and Placements from the main navigation.
- Click Link Ad Network.
- Click Filters to expand the section, enter the name of your Ad Network in the Find box and click Go to search for it.
- Once the Ad Network is located, click Create Placement .
- Complete the Add Placement details and edit the auto-populated name, if required, and click Save Placement or Save and Add Another Placement.
Mapping Ad Network Placements to an Ad Tag
- Select Inventory & Rules | Sites and Tags from the main navigation.
- Click the Ad Tags tab and select the Ad Tag you want to map to a placement.
- Click Edit Ad Network Mapping.
- Click Select Ad Networks.
- Select the desired Ad Network. Then select the Placement it is associated with and click Save.
(The placement should be added to the list of mapped placements.)
- Click Save. The Ad Network Placement is now successfully mapped to the Ad Tag.
The process to add passback tags is similar to adding Ad Network tags. There are two ways to add passbacks:
- Add a passback from the Ad Tag editing screen.
- Add a passback Ad Network variant followed by the passback tags as placements. You can further map those placements to the respective ad tags.
Brand Control: Blocklist Manager
Blocklist Manager helps you avoid the display of unwanted creative to your visitors by blocking the advertiser, advertiser category, domain URL and/or creative attributes. Blocklist Manager enables you to view the domain URLs for an advertiser and block/unblock accordingly.
For instructions and best practices for using Blocklist Manager, refer to the Quality Controls section of the community.
The Whitelist Manager enables the display of specific creative to visitors by whitelisting URLs, advertisers or advertiser categories. The Whitelist Manager displays the advertiser URL for you to enable or disable for whitelisting. This process facilitates a safe and time-saving whitelisting of URLs within the PubMatic interface.
The Whitelisting feature must be enabled on your account. If you would like to enable whitelisting for your account, contact your Customer Success Manager or Customer Success Operations Manager.
Using the Whitelisting Feature, you can:
- Whitelist domain URL, advertiser or advertiser category for all sites or a specific site with a single click.
- View available domain URLs for whitelisting and can enable/disable the whitelist as needed. Note: if you disable the whitelist for a website, the blocklist configuration will be applicable for your inventory.
- View, schedule, download and email whitelisted advertiser categories, advertiser and domain URLs for all or any specific sites.
For instructions and best practices for using Blocklist Manage, refer to the Quality Controls section of the community.