Native advertising describes ads that are placed within the context of content a user is viewing on a web page or in an application. Unlike traditional banner and interstitial ads, native ad formats match the form and function of the user experience in which it is placed. Use the following guidelines to crate an ad tag for video inventory. For complete instructions for creating sites and ad tags in PubMatic, refer to Account Setup Guide for Publishers (Sites & Ad Tags) .
IAB has identified native ad types:
- In-Feed Units
- Paid Search Units
- Recommendation Widgets
- Promoted Listings
- In-Ad (IAB Standard) with Native Element Units
- Custom/”Can’t Be Contained”
Refer to the IAB Native Advertising Playbook for more information and examples.
PubMatic provides a solution for creating native ads from publisher-rendered creatives, which are:
- Publisher manages rendering the creative
- Supported for API clients
- Not supported for Tag-Based clients
The following describes the process of creating native advertising in PubMatic.
Publisher Rendered Native Advertising
Prerequisite: Sites/Apps associated with ad tags must already be created.
- Select Inventory & Rules | Sites & Tags.
- Click Create Ad Tag.
- Select the Site/App for which you are creating an ad tag.
- Select the Native Format Type.
- Select Publisher Rendered.
- Select the Native Ad Template from the list to configure its attributes. Each template contains related attributes to configure for each ad type. When a standard template is chosen, it will display a visual representation of where and how the native ad will display on the page. To configure a new template, select Custom to configure custom template.
- Complete the attributes for the ad template, selecting Add More Assets options as needed.
- Click OK. Once saved, it will return to the Add New Ad Tag screen and display Native Configuration Saved Successfully in the Native Preferences section.
- Select Ad Slot Preferences:
Primary Ad Size: Size of the ad, in pixels, as it will appear on your site.
Ad Placement: Where the ad will display relative to the page.
Fold Placement: Where the ad will display relative to the fold.
Expansion: The direction in which the ad will expand.
- Select the User Data Parameters (UDPs) you want to send to PubMatic in the ad request. This user data will be sent to ad partners during the ad auction. Once UDPs are selected, enter the values/macros for each.
- Select the existing placement or provide a passback script for which you want to pass back the non-monetized impressions from PubMatic for this ad tag.
- Click Save or Save and Map Ad Networks.