This page provides guidance for completing the Targeting section of the Create Deal page.
You can navigate to the Create Deal page in the PubMatic UI as follows: select the Transactions tab > click Deals from the menu > click the Create Deal button in the top-right corner of the page.
PubMatic's robust targeting capabilities enable you to optimize deals by defining the parameters that best fit your inventory.
Set targeting criteria for the following. Select the criteria you want to include in targeting. To remove selected criteria, click the “X” or Clear All in the Targeted Summary section (see above screenshot).
|Audience||You can either include or exclude an audience(s) for this deal. Note that if you exclude an audience for a T-PMP deal, then Audience Targeting is not supported for the calculation of Max Total Avail Impressions.|
Dayparting allows you to target specific days and times of the week. (See details below.)
|Domain and app|| You can either include or exclude domains, app bundle IDs, subdomains, subdirectories, specific pages, and keywords that appear in page URLs/app bundle ID (see details below). |
|Geography||You can either include or exclude specific countries for this deal. DMA targeting is available on the backend; contact your account manager to request this option.|
|Inventory||You can set Inventory to include any ad size or manually select up to 1,000 specific ad sizes.|
|Key value||Enter key value variables to create rules for custom targeting. (See details below.)|
Select any Latitude/Longitude, devices, operating systems, browsers, carriers and device types this deal should target. You can also enable OM SDK targeting for deals targeting mobile app platforms. (See details below.)
|Rich Media||Select one or more Rich Media providers. Rich media ads include streaming video, text or images that interact instantly with visitors.|
|Video||Select ad formats, positions, player size and skip/playback options to target. (See details below.)|
Select the viewability parameters to optimize this deal (see details below).
Specific targeting below will appear when it applies to the product Inventory options selected.
Select mobile targeting attributes to include in this deal.
|OM SDK Support||Check this box to enable. Note that this is only an option for deals that are exclusively targeting mobile app platforms.|
|Latitude/Longitude||Yes or No|
|Smartphone Devices||Any or Select|
|Mobile OS||All, or select specific mobile operating system(s)|
|Browsers||All, or select specific browser(s)|
|Carrier||All, or select specific carrier(s)|
|Device ID Type||All, or select specific device type(s)|
OM SDK Support
To target mobile apps that support IAB Open Measurement SDK, in the Inventory section, select only Mobile App IOS and/or Mobile App Android. Make sure Mobile Web and Web are deselected.
Check the OM SDK Support box to enable. If the box is grayed out, go back to the Inventory section and make sure Mobile Web and Web are deselected.
Select the video targeting attributes to include in this deal.
- Video Ad Formats:
- Linear: Indicates the video ad which runs before, between, or after the video content is viewed by the publisher.
- Non-Linear: Indicates the video ad which runs parallel to the video content so the publisher still has the option of viewing the content.
- Ad Position:
- Pre-roll: Video ad that appears before the video content displays.
- In-roll: Video ad that appears in the middle of the video content.
- Post-roll: Video ad that appears after the video content completes.
- Skippable: Yes, No, Any
- Skip Delay: Enter number of seconds
- Skip Delay Override: Enter number of seconds
- Players Size: All, Small, Medium, Large
Viewability targeting allows you to create deals that target only impressions that meet a minimum level of predicted viewability. For example, if you want to target impressions that are at least 80% likely to be viewable, select 80% or greater from the drop-down list.
Viewability thresholds are predicted based on historical data provided by our viewability partners, Moat and Pixelate. We're integrated with Moat to measure video ads and Pixelate to measure banner ads in both web and app environments. It's important to remember that viewability thresholds are not a guarantee of viewability.
|title||IMPORTANT: Not all apps are supported for video ads|
- Banner ads are fully supported in both web and app environments
- Video ads are supported in web environment and certain apps.
- For in-app video ads, you should target the deal to the apps supported for viewability. If your app is not on the list below, contact your PubMatic account manager.
Keep in mind that deals with a higher viewability threshold will result in fewer matches. To increase your match rate, try lowering the viewability threshold. You can adjust this setting at any time.
Domain and App targeting
Domain and app targeting can be used to target domains, app bundle IDs, subdomains, subdirectories, specific pages, and keywords that appear in page URLs/app bundle IDs.
Key value targeting
Key-value targeting allows you to define rules for custom targeting in the PubMatic UI.
|title||If this string was passed in a request:|
|The key value targeting in the PubMatic UI:||Request matches the deal?|
key1=v1 AND key3=v5
key1=V2 AND key2 is NOT v1
Key value format:
- Key value pairs are separated by "|"
- Each value is separated by ","
See Bid Request Objects and Parameters for how to pass key value pairs in bid request.
Limitations in ad requests:
- The key value string in a request can't be longer than 5100 characters.
- There are no restrictions on the length of key or key values.
Restrictions in key value targeting:
- The length of a key must be equal to or less than 16 characters.
- The length of a key value must be equal to or less than 256 characters.
- The total key value targeting JSON string for a given deal must be equal to or than than 2048 characters.
Steps to add a key value to this deal:
- Click Add Rule to create a new rule for this deal
- Enter the key values.
Example #1: targeting supported
Key: Category Is 123
Key: Allowlist Is 1,2
Example #2: targeting not supported
Key: Age Is Under 25
- Click Submit. The key feature will be added to this rule.
- Click +Add Key to this Rule if you want to add another key feature for this rule.
- Click Done to create the rule.
Click +Add Another Key.
|To delete a rule, click Delete.|
Dayparting allows you to target viewers during specific days and times of the week.
- Selected days appear green and the non-selected days appear red.
- To run a deal 24/7, deselect all the days of the week. This creates a rule to target all the days.
- The time zone is automatically set in the viewer's time zone.
- Select Yes for Advertiser Allowlist if you would like to allowlist one or more advertisers by advertiser name, IAB Category or domain. Allowlisting will make this deal available only to buyer(s) who match the advertisers you select. If you select Yes, continue to step 2; if No, move to the next section.
- Make the desired selections from the dropdown lists for:
- IAB Categories
- Advertiser Domain (manually input from the dropdown or upload in bulk.