Page tree

Display & Video 360 API integration for PMP & PG

Page Tree

Overview

PubMatic has an API integration with Display & Video 360 for PMP to streamline the deal workflow between PubMatic and Display & Video 360. Deal information is now automatically pushed into Display & Video 360 once it's saved or updated successfully, and the deal status in Display & Video 360 is pulled into PubMatic UI.

Key benefits of this API integration: 

• Streamlined process: Automated deal creation and updates ensures seamless communication between publishers and buyers. It also reduces the workload for deal creation.
  • Improved data quality: Automated deal synchronization guarantees accuracy of deal information by eliminating the risk of human error. 
  • Cross-platform troubleshooting: Displaying Display & Video 360 deal status in the PubMatic UI empowers publishers to quickly pinpoint issues for quicker deal launch and better performance.

Beginning June 16, 2020, the PubMatic system will push deal information into Display & Video 360 via the APIs for both PMP deals (Programmatic Guaranteed - PG, PMP Preferred, regular PMP) and Targeted-PMP deals. Once a deal is pushed into Display & Video 360 via the API, buyers won't be able to manually create a deal with that deal ID. Buyers must follow the new deal workflow outlined below. 

Buyer PMP & PG workflow  

1. When a deal is created in PubMatic for a Display & Video 360 buyer, an offer will appear immediately in the buyer's account under Inventory > Negotiations. The screenshot below shows that two deals have been pushed into the buyer's account.  
  2. The offer has all the deal information required by Display & Video 360. It is non-negotiable, a buyer can only accept it or archive it.
  3. Once an offer is accepted, the deal will automatically appear in My Inventory.
  4. This final step is different for PG and PMP deals:

For PG deals:

Click Configure under Actions, then select a Default advertiser > select a Campaign > assign creatives.

When you save the changes, an order and line item are automatically created for the campaign, and the line item is set to live.

This completes the process for PG deals.

For PMP deals:

1. Click Configure under Actions, then select either Assign to existing line item or Assign to new line item.
    2. You can create an Insertion order and Line item name that's consistent with the deal term, and then assign the deal Inventory to the Line Item. Set the Line Item live, and the process is completed. 
    3. You can also assign the inventory to a new line item if you already have an order in place. Once you click Assign to new line item, the line item creation will appear. You need to also set the budget, pacing, bid strategy, frequency capping and others, and assign creatives. When the line item is created, set it live.

d. This completes the process for PMP deals.

FAQs 

What deal information is pushed into Display & Video 360 via API? 

Publisher name, deal name, deal ID, channel (guaranteed vs. non-guaranteed), impression target (for PG only), spend (for PG only), rate type, rate (including currency), auction type (fixed price vs. floor price ), start date (including time zone), end date (including time zone), ad format, ad size, max video duration.

Can I create a deal using "ANY BUYER - DV360"? 

"ANY BUYER - DV360" is not supported. Deals created before June 16, 2020 with "ANY BUYER - DV360" won't be impacted. 

Can I create a deal for multiple Display & Video 360 buyers? 

Yes, a deal for multiple Display & Video 360 buyer seats is allowed; however, the buyers must be associated with each other. When a deal is created in PubMatic, it will be pushed into each buyer seat in Display & Video 360. Only Display & Video 360 users who have access to all of those buyer seat accounts can accept the deal. The use case for this function is an agency holding company that wants to create a deal to be shared by its agencies. In this case, only the agency holding company users can accept the deal in Display & Video 360.  

If you create a deal for buyers that are not related to each other, the buyers won't be able to accept the deal in Display & Video 360. 

Can I create a deal for multiple ad formats? 

No, Display & Video 360 allows only one ad format per deal.

Does the deal ID need to be unique? 

Yes, Display & Video 360 requires the deal ID to be unique. If a PubMatic deal ID exists in Display & Video 360 and when this deal ID is used for a different deal, the API call for deal creation will fail.  

Can I use special characters in a deal ID? 

Most special characters are not allowed in deal IDs by Display & Video 360. In Display & Video 360, allowed characters in a deal ID are alphanumeric, underscore, dash, and dot. Max 100 characters. 

Deals won't deliver if unsupported special characters are used in a deal ID. 

What indications can I see in the PubMatic UI for the status of my deal in Display & Video 360? 

We show "Offer Status" and "Deal Status" on the Deal Listing page and Deal Details page.

Offer Status indicates whether or not a buyer has accepted the offer. Instruct your buyer(s) to accept the offer, then assign line item(s) and creative(s) to the deal you have created in PubMatic. Offer status will be one of the following: 

• Accepted: Offer accepted
    • Pending: Offer acceptance pending
    • Archived: Offer archived.
    • NA: Status unknown.

Deal Status indicates whether this deal is ready to deliver in Display & Video 360. If a deal is "Pending," instruct your buyer(s) to accept the offer and then assign line item(s) and creative(s) in Display & Video 360. Deal status will be one of the following:  

• Active: Deal is ready to deliver or delivering. Both line item and valid creative are assigned.
    • Pending: Buyer needs to assign line item and creative.
    • Paused: Buyer paused deal.
    • NA: Status unknown.

How often will the Offer and Status be updated? 

Every three hours. Display & Video 360 team is working to send us the status update when they change, and after that we can update the statuses in near real time . 

How can I make changes to a deal created in PubMatic? 

You can edit deals after they are saved, and the updates will be pushed into Display & Video 360 via API. If you make changes to any of the following: deal name, impression target (for PG only), spend (for PG only), rate (including currency), start date (including time zone), end date (including time zone), ad format, ad size, or max video duration, buyer needs to re-accept the offer under Inventory > Negotiations in their Display & Video 360 account for the changes to become effective. Before that, the deal will keep working based on the initial setup. 

If you make changes to other fields such as targeting, today we still make an API call to DV360, and the Order status will change to "Pending" in DV360 but buyer does not need to re-accept it since update to those fields won't change the deal information in DV360. In a future release, we will make API calls only when the fields that DV360 requires get updated.

For deals created before June 16, this process does not apply. You need to tell the buyer about the changes and buyer needs to manually update the deal in Display & Video 360. 

Can I remove Display & Video 360 buyer(s) from a deal once a deal is pushed into Display & Video 360 via API? 

Once a deal is saved and deal information is pushed into Display & Video 360, when users edit the deal, Display & Video 360 buyers are not allowed to be removed from the deal.

When users remove Display & Video 360 buyers, this error message will appear: "Deal information has been pushed into the buyer's Display & Video 360 account via API. Display & Video 360 buyer(s) cannot be removed from the deal."

Can I mix Display & Video 360 buyers with buyers from other DSPs? 

Yes, you can still mix buyers from different DSPs in the same deal. 

Can I change a deal channel type? 

No, deal channel type cannot be changed once a deal is pushed into Display & Video 360. 

Can I change a deal auction type? 

Deal auction type cannot be changed once a deal is pushed into Display & Video 360. 

What will happen to existing Display & Video 360 deals that were created before API integration is launched? 

API calls won't be made for any deals created before the API integration is launched, since line items for these deals have already been created in Display & Video 360. When you update these deals, the system won't make API calls for the updates. 

If Display & Video 360 buyers manually create a deal first in Display & Video 360 using the deal ID, and then the deal with the same deal ID gets pushed into

Display & Video 360 via API, how will Display & Video 360 handle it? 

The Display & Video 360 system handles this scenarios in the following ways:

1. If the deal term of the deal created via API matches the deal manually created, then the deal created via API is automatically considered accepted.
  2. If the deal term of the deal created via API does not match the deal manually created, the user is asked to accept the deal created via API. Before acceptance, the deal created manually continues to work in accordance with the old terms. Accepting the new deal will override the old deal term.
  3. If the deal type of the deal created via API differs from the deal manually created, the API call will fail. For example, if the manually created deal is a non-reserved deal, the API call will fail if you create a reserved deal via API. 

Please note once a deal is pushed into Display & Video 360 via API, buyers won't be able to manually create a deal with that deal ID.

Will a deal be created in Display & Video 360 if API call to Display & Video 360 fails? 

If the Display & Video 360 API call fails, the PubMatic system will retry until it succeeds. A red flag will appear for the deal on Deal Listing page with a message "The API call to Display & Video 360 has failed. The PubMatic system will retry until it succeeds." The red flag will disappear when the retry is successful.

As a publisher with multiple publisher integrations, how can I use the same deal ID to create a deal in each of my accounts? 

We have introduced a field called ‘Send API request to DV360’ in the deal workflow. This option allows users to choose not to make an API call to Display & Video 360 for a deal. When using the same deal ID for multiple deals in PubMatic, users need to create the first deal via API to push the deal ID into Display & Video 360. For other deals using the same deal ID, the 'Send API request to DV360' field must be set to 'No'. This allows multiple deals in PubMatic to share the same deal in Display & Video 360. When the 'Send API request to DV360' field is set to 'No', the Display & Video 360 status will be 'NA' for the deal in the PubMatic UI. 

When I create a PG deal, do the "Spend" and "Impression Target" numbers have to be accurate? 

Yes, the "Spend" and "Impression Target" must be the same as the contracted numbers. These two numbers will be pushed into Display & Video 360 for the deal and buyers won't be able to update them.